7 Churches of Revelations – Pergamos: The Third Church
Pergamos has a Serious Problem
Every Christian belongs to one of the 7 churches of Revelations. The Church of Pergamos (Revelations
2:12-17), has very serious problems. Listen to what
the Lord Jesus says about Pergamos. Let us examine ourselves. If this problem applies prayerfully deal with it according to the word of God.
- Revelation 2:12-17, “And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write;These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges; I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth. But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate. Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.”
7 Churches of revelations – Pergamos: Revelation of Jesus
To Pergamos, the third church, of the 7 churches of Revelations, Jesus reveals himself as the one who holds the sharp two edged sword. The sharp two edged sword is the Bible, (see Hebrews 4:12-13). Jesus sees everything. There is nothing hidden from his sight. He is the one who wields the two edged sword. His doctrine according to the word of God, the Bible, is the only acceptable doctrine.
- Hebrews 4:12-13, “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.”
7 Churches of revelations – Pergamos: Good Things
He commends the Church of Pergamos for holding forth his name and not denying his faith even though they live where Satan’s seat is.
Where is Satan’s seat. Anywhere lies, lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh, and pride of life prevail. Those are the four weapons he uses to blind humanity from the truth of the gospel, (see I John 2:15-17 and John 8:44).
- I John 2:15-17, “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.”
- John 8:44, “Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
7 Churches of revelations – Pergamos: The Problem
The Church of Pergamos has people within the church that teach false doctrines. They teach God’s children it’s okay to commit fornication and to eat things sacrificed to idols.
Fornication is the one sin that causes Christians to sin against their body which is the temple of God, for he dwells in them, (see I Corinthians 6:18-20)
- I Corinthians 6:18-20, “Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
Eating things sacrificed to idols is committing adultery on the God we serve, (see Ezekiel 23:37).
- Ezekiel 23:37, “That they have committed adultery, and blood is in their hands, and with their idols have they committed adultery, and have also caused their sons, whom they bare unto me, to pass for them through the fire, to devour them.”
They also have the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which God hates. The Bible is not perfectly clear on what the doctrine of the Nicolaitans is, but any doctrine that is not based on the doctrine of Jesus Christ is not from God.
7 Churches of revelations – Pergamos: The Solution
REPENT and turn from your sins of fornication and adultery. Confess your sins to God and turn from them. To cure physical adultery every man should have his own wife and every woman should have her own husband. Any other form of sex is fornication, (see I Corinthians 7:2)
- I Corinthians 7:2, “Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.”
To cure spiritual adultery confess your sins, turn from doctrines of idols, and learn solid Bible doctrine. God is very serious about his doctrine and his people. The principles of the Doctrine of Christ are clearly stated in Hebrews 6:1-2. Study the Bible to learn God’s doctrine.
- Hebrews 6:1-2, “Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.”
7 Churches of revelations – Pergamos: The Judgment
Those who do not repent will find themselves fighting against God himself. It is God who divides soul and spirit, and joints and marrow. God knows the thoughts and intents of our heart.
God begs for us to listen. He says, “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches…”
7 Churches of revelations – Pergamos: The Reward
Those who repent and follow Bible doctrine will eat of the hidden manna which is eternal life through Jesus Christ.
They also will also receive a new name. It is a name that only God gives. Just as God renamed Abram to Abraham, “a father of nations,” (see Genesis 17:5), and renamed Jacob to Israel, “for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed,” (see Genesis 32:28). Receiving a special name from the Lord is a blessing indeed.
- Genesis 17:5, “Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.”
- Genesis 32:28, “And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.”
Let us pray and humbly fall on the grace of God through our Lord Jesus Christ and learn his doctrine so that we can’t be fooled by Satan and the things of this world and miss his great blessing.
Copyright 2010 J-me
Other articles in this series are:
7 Churches of Revelations – Overview
7 Churches of Revelations – Ephesus
7 Churches of Revelations – Smyrna
7 Churches of Revelations – Thyatira
7 Churches of Revelations – Sardis
7 Churches of Revelations – Philadelphia
7 Churches of Revelations – Laodicea
God reveals the 7 churches of Revelations to warn and encourage Christian believers. Do you know Christ? If you are a believer…in which of the 7 churches of Revelations do you find yourself. Which of the 7 churches of Revelations do you want to belong? What must you do?
If you’re not a Christian. Please view the Jesus Connection page of this site for information on becoming a Christian and receiving God’s great blessing.