7 Churches of Revelations – Sardis: The Fifth Church
Sardis – The Fifth Church: A Deadly Serious Problem
The Church of Sardis has a deadly serious problem. Listen to what the Lord Jesus says about Sardis.
- Revelation 3:1-6, “And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou has a name, that thou livest, and art dead.
- Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
- Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
- Thou hast a few names, even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments: and they shall walk with me in white; for they are worthy.
- He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment: and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
- He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
Every Christian belongs to one of the 7 churches of Revelations. Let us examine ourselves and prayerfully seek God’s face and forgiveness.
7 Churches of Revelations – Sardis: Revelation of Jesus
Jesus reveals himself as the one that has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars. By stating such things he is telling the Church of Sardis that the churches and the Spirits of God are his. He is the one who holds them and keeps them.
7 Churches of Revelations – Sardis: Good Things
The church of Sardis is one of two churches that have not performed any good works. Why? What is their problem?
7 Churches of Revelations – Sardis: The Problem
The Church of Sardis has no works that are perfected. They have a name that they live, but they are dead. Why are they dead? Because they have no testimony of Jesus Christ.
Romans 10:9-10, are very clear about the problem with Sardis. These verses reveal, “…if thou confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”
- Romans 10:8-10, “But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”
Without a positive confession of Jesus Christ before men there is no salvation. Those in the Church of Sardis have not confessed Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Professing Jesus before men is central to salvation. If we deny Jesus as Lord and Savior before men then Jesus will deny us before his Father and the angels in heaven, (see Matthew 10:32-33 and Luke 12:8-9).
- Matthew 10:32-33, “Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.”
- Luke 12:8-9, “Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.”
Even in the Old Testament the mercy seat is over the testimony, (see Exodus 30:6). That is a foreshadowing of the confession and mercy of Jesus Christ.
- Exodus 30:6, “And thou shalt put it before the veil that is by the ark of the testimony, before the mercy seat that is over the testimony, where I will meet with thee.“
There is no work that is accepted until a person repents and confesses Jesus Christ. A person who has no positive profession of Jesus Christ has no standing with God the Father. He is still in his sins.
7 Churches of Revelations – Sardis: The Solution
Repent and confess your sins in Jesus’s name. Then confess that he is your Lord and Savior before men.
7 Churches of Revelations – Sardis: The Judgment
Those who do not have a positive profession of Jesus Christ before men are not saved. They are still dead in their sins. They will be left behind when Jesus comes to gather his children. The wrath of God still abides on them.
God begs us to listen. He says, “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches…”
7 Churches of Revelations – Sardis: The Reward
Those who repent and confess Jesus will not have their name taken out of the book of life. They will have eternal life. Jesus will also confess their names before his Father in heaven and before the angels.
My prayer is that all who read these words will repent and confess Jesus that they might have eternal life.
Copyright 2010 J-me
Other articles in this series are:
7 Churches of Revelations – Overview
7 Churches of Revelations – Ephesus
7 Churches of Revelations – Smyrna
7 Churches of Revelations – Pergamos
7 Churches of Revelations – Thyatira
7 Churches of Revelations – Philadelphia
7 Churches of Revelations – Laodicea
God reveals the 7 churches of Revelations to warn and encourage Christian believers. Do you know Christ? If you are a believer…in which of the 7 churches of Revelations do you find yourself. Which of the 7 churches of Revelations do you want to belong? What must you do?
If you’re not a Christian. Please view the Jesus Connection page of this site for information on becoming a Christian and receiving God’s great blessing.
7 churches of revelations – sardis